Pallet Compost Bin

Compost bin made from 2 pallets. 

I wanted a compost bin but didn't want to spend a lot of money. My past inexpensive compost bin didn't look good and it was made of materials that made if difficult for me to actually get to the compost. I saw a few blogs and videos on making a compost bin from pallets. There are several ways to do this, I chose the method that uses only 2 pallets so it was low enough that I could get to the compost, there is another version that uses 4 pallets but for my size, this makes the bin too tall. 

Now, where to get pallets......

Amazingly, there are free pallets just about everywhere. Look near any dumpster and you can usually find a few pallets. A friend helped me load these two pallets and bring them back to The Hive. 

I bought a hand saw, long zip ties, and screws. The saw was the most expensive part. I cut the pallets in half an zip tied them together to get an idea of how it was going to look. I leveled it out with a few bricks. After I liked the placement in the yard I screwed three of the pieces together. 

We added the railing planter boxes to help conceal the bin. My Aunt suggested staining it, which turned out to be a really good idea. Once it was stained it blended even more in with the fence and the plants stood out even more. 

I wanted to make a door out of the one side I didn't attached so I bought 2 hinges and a latch. Now the door swings out for easy access to the compost! 











Comments

  1. love this! what does it look like now? I see this was from 2018...do you still use it and love it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pallet Board Pathway

Mo-stache Pistache - Our New Tree